Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Acta, Verba, and Stercus Tauri

On Tuesday Morning, one of my Spanish teacher colleagues asked "Alright, what is happening with the Latin program?!"

I had to tell her that I had NO idea.  After all, no one tells me anything and when I ask, no one seems to have answers.  "Right," she replied.  "Why would anyone tell you anything.  You're just the teacher.  And, of course, it's Teacher Appreciation Week."

*sigh*

If you are looking at the title of my post curiously, Acta = actions, Verba = words, and Stercus Tauri = bullshit.

If you looked at the actions vs. the words of my upper level administration, you would come out with Stercus Tauri.  Their words say that they appreciate their teachers.  Their actions say otherwise.

And this is what my students and colleagues see every day!  No WONDER my colleagues are bitter and my students don't understand the difference between Acta and Verba.  No wonder my students feel betrayed.

For Teacher Appreciation Week, my Latin 3 / 4 class actually got me a card.  They all signed it.  On the inside, one of them wrote, "Magistra, we, at least, appreciate you."  While I was SO excited to get a card from my students, I was super sad to see that they KNOW that I am not appreciated otherwise.  I always make a point of showing them that I appreciate them, too.

And yet, for our last few weeks together, we must keep up the Joyful Community we have built.  Now, I think, the need for it is stronger than ever, and the students know it as well as I do.  Can we make the Community stronger?  Can we all appreciate each other?  How do we show it and strengthen it in the last few weeks together?

No comments:

Post a Comment