Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Age Quod Agis

From the time I was first starting school, my parents always had one message for me:  "Do Your Best." This didn't mean getting A's.  It meant doing whatever was my best.  B's on math assignments were fine.  That was truly the best I had.  I was a horrible math student.

These days, I have to have constant conversations with my students about doing their best.  Why? Because they are taught that "adequate" is acceptable.  All the time.  A B on an assignment is fine.  Heck, anything that lets them pass.

The high school I went to had one simple motto:  "Age Quod Agis."  It means: "Do what you do." But as we always were reminded, "And Do It As Well As Possible," is implied.

So here's my question:

When did it become acceptable to do less than your best on an assignment?

I cannot stand the culture that says doing less than your best is OK.  To make amazing changes and innovations, you need to do your best on everything.  In order to satisfy customers in your business, you need to do your best on everything all the time.  And we wonder why clothing is made so low quality these days.  Or why you have to take your car in all the time, even when you are sure you just got it fixed.

I am always so excited when I find a plumber I can trust, or a mechanic who always does his best on everything.  And why am I amazed that I found them?  Shouldn't everyone do their best on everything?

So help me out here...Have you seen this culture as well?  What can we do to bring about change and ask everyone's best?

No comments:

Post a Comment