Sunday, March 10, 2013

Presenting at SXSWEdu

How many people do you think would show up for a 9 AM session on the LAST day of a conference?

I was REALLY surprised with the number of people we got at our session! We had worked hard for our time there to spread the word about our session...and I am sure the double endorsement from the Advisory Board didn't hurt!!

Now we just had to live up to it.

And, as Gerol says in his post, we did!  Especially after so much talking about games in education, we knew we'd attract attention.  Unlike many others talking about Edugaming, we were not writing small game modules for specific units.  We were talking about actual courses--courses which existed--where the game was the course and the course was the game.  We weren't trying to sell, just to talk about the cool things we were doing, how we got there, and why we did what we did.  Of course, we really wanted to hit the breaking out of factory-model education via collaboration and altruism piece as well.

Did we?  I really say we did!  :)  Here's the podcast of our session!  (I'm the second speaker, but you should, obviously, listen to the whole thing!  Dungeons and Discourse and Tres Columnae are fantastic projects and kindred spirits!) I wish I had pictures...and eventually, I will post the video, but I need to get the pieces of video stitched together first!  :)  The interest was high, the audience was engaged, and the questions at the end were terrific!  I can't for the life of me remember who it was, but someone earlier that week had said that the metric of whether or not you have people interested is what kinds of questions you get.  We got GREAT questions!

I hope you all listen to and enjoy the podcast!  Talk back--ask questions! 

No comments:

Post a Comment