Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Routines

When I was a child, my parents set routines around the house.  For example, when I came home from school, I could have a snack and relax for 45 minutes before heading up to my room to work on homework.

This was something that happened every day.  As I grew older and got busier, we had to modify it, but there was still a routine in place.  And as my parents set routines, they always gave me a reason--a good reason--as to why we do what we are doing.

To my students these days, there is no concept of routine.  Everything appears random. As I said on Justin's post yesterday:  "One of my students just came in and asked me for advice:  He has a History test, a Chem test, and a speech for Speech Class tomorrow...and no time to study, since he has all of this other homework.  How should he work on this?  "

This is typical of my students--and they are some of the "top students" in the school.  But they have never learned how to study, set routines, self discipline, or even how to outline.  

I spent a long time talking with my student about how to best structure his studying...and by that point other students had come to class.  We had a LONG discussion about what my students' nightly routines were and how they could be more productive while still getting "chill time."  

They thought that this was AMAZING.  We're going to try an experiment: We all promise to try setting routines for ourselves for a month and we see what happens and check in with each other about it.  

I am curious to see what will come of that!!

Do you find setting routines helpful?  Were you a child who had set routines, or did you learn to set them later in life?  Or did you have routines that didn't work for you and you had to find new ones?  Have you had to have similar conversations with your students?  Tell me more!  

No comments:

Post a Comment